Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Homework for Weds, December 2

Assignment:  Real Life Negatives B
Here we go again!
I'm still not concerned with equations, but I am interested in how you are thinking about these problems.  Please "show" how you are solving them.
Do continue to think about "collecting" (associating) negatives with negatives and positive with positives.
Here is an example of what an equation would look like:  You went up 2 stairs, down 5 stairs, up 10 stairs, down 25 stairs, up 13 stairs, down 5 stairs, up 67 stairs ... where are you?  
* 2 - 5 = -3 + 10 = +7 - 25 = -18 + 13 = -5 - 5 = -10 + 67 = 57
Do you see why this could be tedious to solve and have the potential for multiple errors?  
Now look at it in color ...  with association (we'll use red and black here):
You went up stairs, down 5 stairs, up 10 stairs, down 25 stairs, up 13 stairs, down 5stairs, up 67 stairs ... where are you?  
*Let's see ... I went up 2, 10, 13, and 67 steps for a total of 92 steps up.
    I went down 5, 25, and steps for a total of 35 steps down.
It looks to me like I will end up above where I started, eh?  92 - 35 = 57 steps higher than where I started.
This is just one way of thinking about these problems and, seriously, the method I always use.  If you haven't tried it, I encourage you to try it for at least one of these problems tonight.
Keep thinking!
Due Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment