Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sad Day for Mo :-(

Today our chickens were accosted by coyotes around noon and we were alerted when we heard the squawking outside.  Although we were able to chase the coyotes away, it was not without loss.
*I found Casey hiding beneath our back porch with her head stuck in the basement vent.  She has lost most of her back feathers and has a big tooth wound in her back, but she's alive.  Ella saw that chicken-coyote confrontation out our family room window and Carl ran outside immediately.  (Chauncey, the wonder-dog ,followed Carl, but was ineffective as usual).  We've cleaned and medicated Casey and now she is indoors in solitary confinement in a dog kennel.  We'll see how she does, but apparently infection leading to death is common in dog bites with chickens.
*Quinn, our only Russian Orloff, survived the initial attack, but hid across the street in our neighbor's bushes.  When she was returning home hours later, she was hit by a car on Boulevard Road.  This depresses me a lot as Quinn was my favorite chicken and I keep kicking myself that I didn't keep searching for her longer.
*Mary is still missing.
We either found the rest of the chickens in trees or herded them from the bushes.  They are now all locked up in their pens and will remain there for a week or two ... we need to let those coyotes know there are no more chickens available.

So I'm sorry that I haven't updated grades in TeacherEase today, but that was my plan before this all happened.  I am just now coming back indoors and don't feel much like grading papers.  I promise I will have them updated before your individual conferences, they just may be evolving over the next few days rather than current by this evening.  Maybe the Sounders will win and make me feel better?  The Seahawks certainly didn't help.

Sadly,
Mo :(
Quinn, several months ago.
*7:56 p.m. Sunday night - Mary is back!  I found her on top of the coop tonight when I went outside to look for her.  She looks fine.  Casey is still hanging in there and Quinn is properly buried with a special rock Ella put in with her.  May she R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment